WW2 Polish Commando Patches Set

Used

1944-1947 Castelfidardo, Celluloid

More details

This product is no longer in stock

£ 749.99 tax incl.

More info

Round shoulder badge made of black and red celluloid, on the obverse in the central part inscribed 3 elements of the emblem (Combined Operations) albatross in flight with spread wings, anchor and M1 machine pistol directed with the barrel to the left. These badges were worn in left-right pairs. Visible 4 holes for fixing. Reverse smooth badges.

Red arch title patch made of celluloid with white “Poland”. Reverse smooth. Near the edges of the patch are holes used for attaching insignia to the uniform.

Black shoulder arch with the name of the unit made of red celluloid (Commando). Near the edges of the patch are holes used for attaching insignia to the uniform..

These patches were made in Italy in the Town of Castelfidardo from July of 1944 just prior to the Battle of Ancona until around 1947. Castelfidardo was the center of accordion production (which used celluloid). However due to war, the demand for musical instruments was low, as soon as the Polish troops arrived the local workshops began production of Polish insignia from the celluloid, patches and memorabilia such as this one. This patch is made from thin celluloid with small holes so that it could be sewn onto the uniform.

The Independent Commando Company was an elite unit of the Polish Armed Forces in the West, which became famous among Allied forces in Bravery and perseverance in battle.

The company was approved by order of August 28, 1942. The commander of the company was Capt. Władysław Smrokowski. The company commanded by Capt. Smrokowski, anticipated five officers and 81 serial soldiers.

The entire company was formed from the soldiers of the 2nd Rifle Battalion. On December 1, 1943, 1 Commando Company was directed to the Italian front, where it participated in battles, its first combat took place on the night of December 21 to December 22 in Pescopennataro, where the company successfully resisted the attack of about 250 German Alpine shooters.

On  17th January 1944, the Company suffered its first severe losses while forcing the Garigliano River, in which 4 commandos were killed and 25 soldiers were wounded. In recognition of the merits and courage, 21 commandos were decorated with the Virtuti Militari order from General Sosnkowski.

Polish Commandos after completing personal losses, were directed to the Battle of Monte Cassino, the fourth battle begins on the night of May 16-17. Commandos assigned to the 5th Kresowa Infantry Division were sent to fight for the Castellone and San Angelo hills. In the battles of Monte Cassino until May 18, units of the elite unit suffered heavy losses of 52 wounded and 8 killed.

On June 3, 1944, Polish commandos were transferred to the Campobasso area, together with the 2nd Commando Company they created a new grouping. After the outbreak of the Warsaw Uprising, the possibility of dropping a smaller Commando companion into the Warsaw region was being considered, thus symbolically strengthening the strength of the Insurgents.

Unfortunately, on August 5, the order to form was withdrawn. On August 15, 1944, 1st Independent Commando Company was transformed into a Battalion of commandos, receiving in the later the name of the 2nd Motorized Commandos Battalion.