A set consisting of the Cross of Valour and a issue certificate after Jacek Waliczek, soldiers of the elite unit of the Polish Commando; 2nd Battalion of the Motorized Commando.
The bronze minted award on the obverse of the cross in the middle a pentagonal shield with a Polish crowned eagle, on the arms inscription NA - POLU - CHWAŁY- 1920 (On Field of Glory 1920). On the reverse of the cross, horizontally, inscription: WALECZNYM (Valorous) in the center of the cross, a laurel wreath through which a two-edged sword passes with the blade pointing upwards.
Made in the Middle East 1944-45, awarded mainly to the soldiers of the 2nd Polish Corps. According to the book of Grzegorz Krogulec, "Krzyż Walecznych", known as version 23.
The document of giving the cross in the form of a rectangle, On the obverse in the upper left corner, the inscription 2 Baon Komandosów / zmot. / On the right side the date of giving the distinction of “M.p on 3.X.1946”.
In the middle
““Zaświadczenie. Stwierdzam, że Rozkazem Personalnym 2 Korpusu 176/46 strz.Waliczek Jacek został odznaczony Krzyżem Walecznych po raz pierwszy. Podstawa: Rozkaz Dzienny Baonu Nr.122/46.
Certificate. I declare that the Personality Order of the 2nd Corps number 176/46 strz. Wałiczek Jacek was awarded the Cross of Valor for the first time. Foundation: Daily Order of the Battalion Nr.122 / 46.
Signed by the Commander of the Commando Baon, Maj. Władysław Smrokowski.
There is also a visible stamp of the 2nd Motorized Commando Baon. Round rubber stamp with an eagle inscribed in the middle, around the inscription “2 baon Komandosów Zmotoryzowanych/ 2 Polish Commando ( motor BN )”
A unique set after one of the most elite Polish units during World War 2
The Independent Commando Company was an elite unit of the Polish Armed Forces in the West, which became famous among Allied forces in Bravery and perseverance in battle.
The company was approved by order of August 28, 1942. The commander of the company was Capt. Władysław Smrokowski. The company commanded by Capt. Smrokowski, anticipated five officers and 81 soldiers.
The entire company was formed from the soldiers of the 2nd Rifle Battalion. On December 1, 1943, 1 Commando Company was directed to the Italian front, where it participated in battles, its first combat took place on the night of December 21 to December 22 in Pescopennataro, where the company successfully resisted the attack of about 250 German Alpine shooters.
On 17th January 1944, the Company suffered its first severe losses while forcing the Garigliano River, in which 4 commandos were killed and 25 soldiers were wounded. In recognition of the merits and courage, 21 commandos were decorated with the Virtuti Militari order from General Sosnkowski.
Polish Commandos after completing personal losses, were directed to the Battle of Monte Cassino, the fourth battle begins on the night of May 16-17. Commandos assigned to the 5th Kresowa Infantry Division were sent to fight for the Castellone and San Angelo hills. In the battles of Monte Cassino until May 18, units of the elite unit suffered heavy losses of 52 wounded and 8 killed.
On June 3, 1944, Polish commandos were transferred to the Campobasso area, together with the 2nd Commando Company they created a new grouping. After the outbreak of the Warsaw Uprising, the possibility of dropping a smaller Commando companion into the Warsaw region was being considered, thus symbolically strengthening the strength of the Insurgents.
Unfortunately, on August 5, the order to form was withdrawn. On August 15, 1944, 1st Independent Commando Company was transformed into a Battalion of commandos, receiving in the later the name of the 2nd Motorized Commandos Battalion.